I’ve written up most of my review for Sundrown’s ‘The 8th Day Bliss’, but for now here’s a review of the new Kiss album!
1. Modern Day Delilah-A fantastic way to open up the album! A dark riff that wouldn't be out of place on Revenge kicks off the song, and it just explodes from there.
2. Russian Roulette-Another dark song, and one of the better Gene tunes out there. Great bass from Gene, a catchy chorus, and Tommy's awesome solo really make this a great track.
3. Never Enough-A more lighthearted tune that combines the upbeat nature of their 70s tracks along with a huge 80s chorus. Three winners in a row!
4. Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect)-Sonic Boom was billed as a return to the classic 70s sound, but I haven't been getting that vibe; that is until this track. Sleazy lyrics, great guitar work, and a solid chorus. Is this a (great) leftover from Rock & Roll Over?
5. Stand-I was worried about this track, to be honest. I sort of expected it to be a flop, but instead the trade-off vocals and God Gave Rock & Roll To You style chorus seamlessly interact. Overall a solid track, but not among the best.
6. Hot And Cold-A Gene song with some silly lyrics and yet another great chorus... when will this album let up?
7. All For The Glory-Eric takes a shot at lead vocals this time, and it's a winner! I was not especially fond of this song upon first listen, but after another try my opinion has been reversed. Overall, All For The Glory is a solid track with some great vocals.
8. Danger Us-Tommy shreds out another fantastic riff; one of the best yet! A humorous play on words and, you guessed, another great chorus. What's not to like?
9. I'm An Animal-Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Gene anthem! There's been War Machine, Unholy, and now I'm An Animal. This is a song that I can see Kiss playing live for a long time.
10. When Lightning Strikes-Tommy gives vocals a try here, and boy does it work well! An awesome guitar riff, a huge chorus, and best of all, a killer solo. Everything is here. Brilliant.
11. Say Yeah-A simply incredible way to finish off the album. If this is not played live I will die. It's quite possibly the best song Kiss has recorded since I Love It Loud. It is seriously that good. They would be foolish not to end concerts with this.
Overall Rating: 9.5/10
This is clearly the best Kiss album since Creatures Of The Night.